- Another Ponzi scheme is discovered operating in the Church.
- Another spiritual leader is disgraced by an adulterous affair.
- Another devastating church split.
What do all these have in common? Evil has found its way into the lives of believers. These sins make the headlines but there are many smaller, less conspicuous ways evil infiltrates that are less visible but just as damaging to our souls.
We fall internally little by little until finally, our external façade crumbles to reveal the decay of our spiritual lives
How did this happen? How did we come to a point where we find ourselves in a deep pit with seemingly no way to escape?
The key concept here is that our greatest temptation is internal to us not external. We cannot point our finger at a circumstance or at someone else and say, “they did it!” Not even Adam and Eve could use Satan as an excuse because they were tempted by their own desires – Satan merely exploited their desire.
So what is the key to defeating our sin?
First of all, no one totally defeats sin this side of heaven. We live with an old nature that is always going to work against godliness. But we can minimize our susceptibility to temptation. This is how.
Since we fall into sin when we are tempted by our own evil desires then we need to desire God more than anything else on earth.
This is the one desire that the evil one cannot exploit because it will always lead us into righteousness.
If our entire being is focused on loving God then so also will be our desires. We desire whatever is the object of our love. So in all things, if our utmost goal is to love God then all other areas of our life will reflect this love.
- Relationships will take on a new purity.
- Possessions will not become our god but will only be used to bring more glory to our Lord.
- Our attitude toward our bodies will take on new priorities since we will no longer seek to find our identity in our appearance but in the fact that we are loved by our Creator.
To make this a reality in our lives requires some deep Holy Spirit inspired soul searching. You will find layers of desires in you that are draining your spiritual vitality. Here are some examples:
- Are you seeking the approval of others more than the approval of God?
- Are you hungering for comfort and security more than finding your security in the Lord?
- Are you finding your identity in your job, relationships, or possessions rather than in who God says you are?
When evil walks through the door it will never be dressed as something disgusting – no it will be garbed in all the things we desire and tell us to follow because it has what we are seeking. So we will follow and it leads us right to spiritual destruction. But if our heart is set on seeking God, and our deepest desire is to bring him glory then evil will be exposed and our lives will be saved from falling victim to the schemes of the Devil.
If you would like to receive an update on all our blogs and articles please sign up for our weekly newsletter.