This Massaged Kale and Quinoa Salad by Clean Eats & Treats is a super-food healthy salad for our 30 Day Healthy Salad Challenge! Thanks to cleaneatsandtreats.com for the recipe.Read More
Get Heart-Healthy, Lose Weight, and Rediscover Energy
This is not a Fad Diet but rather a Positive Life Style Challenge to help you start taking steps towards healthy eating. Studies show that eating the right nutrients result in long term health benefits. And one of the quickest ways is to start is consuming a diet of life changing nutrients by taking this 30 day #Healthysalad challenge. Simply add one healthy salad recipe as a main course every day for the next 30 days.
A daily healthy salad will:
- provide an abundance of antioxidant vitamins
- provide heart healthy minerals: calcium, potassium and magnesium
- provide raw food enzymes for energy and health
- provide your body with an alkaline rich meal
- provide you with instant energy
- help you lose weight
Variations to healthy salad recipes
When choosing your lettuce look for dark leafy greens and avoid iceberg lettuce when possible. Fruits and vegetables that are the brightest and richest in color are known to be the most nutritious and highest in heart healthy antioxidants.
- I personally enjoy homemade dressings from balsamic vinegar but if you don’t like balsamic vinegar choose another vinegar of your choice or use fresh lemon juice. If you have a favorite low fat dressing then go ahead and use that, but check the label for sugar and other fillers such as coloring and additives.
- Low fat cheese is a great addition to salads. Greek feta cheese or goat cheese are healthy choices. The manufacturer ‘Allegro’ also makes some really good low fat cheddar and cream cheeses. They are a little expensive but taste good.
- Remember that studies show that garlic is very good at lowering your blood pressure so use it freely or add the flavor of fresh cilantro and mint. Consider growing your own fresh herbs and adding them to your healthy salad recipes.
- Extra virgin olive oil is always the best oil to use in your healthy salad recipes. Even though it is a very stable oil, purchase high quality oil in a dark bottle to prevent rancidity.
- Almonds are a rich source of the heart healthy mineral magnesium and are considered by many to be the ‘king of nuts’. Walnuts are also very nutritious. Store in the fridge to maintain freshness. Nuts and seeds are also a superior source of good fat and are a great to your healthy salad recipes.
- A high quality yogurt is a good source of calcium and a tasty addition to your healthy salad recipes. Choose low fat yogurt with active cultures for additional health benefits. Avoid the fruit bottom yogurts- you’ll be surprised how much sugar
- And finally, remember to eat slowly and enjoy every bite........