I know that my title seems a bit over the top, but I am tired of talking about creating successful strategies to people who have absolutely no capacity to put them to action. So, I’m going to get really basic and real simple.
What you believe about yourself and the universe are the most crucial pieces of knowledge you will ever possess. They are the common denominators in all events, relationships, and goals in your life.
- Overcoming failures is completely dependent on your view of yourself
- Pushing through trials and enduring through prolonged times of frustration is a factor of how you see yourself.
- Your level of satisfaction with living is dependant upon understanding yourself in context to the universe
Yet, I find so few of us really comprehend this fact. Instead, we are continually looking to other people or circumstances as the arbitrator for our lives.
When something bad happens. (and it happens to everyone)
- Some resign themselves to their fate and give up
- Some see it as an insurmountable obstacle and choose a lesser path
- Some see it as a temporary setback and press on
The only difference in these responses in how one sees themselves and what they believe about the universe.
Your view of yourself is a consequence of how you view the universe.
I have had the privilege of traveling the world and in some places, I have seen unimaginable suffering. When asked why this is so the answer I receive is something like this, “it is their fate”.
- The random nature of the universe
It all comes down to whether the universe is cooperating with or in opposition to our success. This will determine whether we have the internal resources to achieve the life we desire to live. If that answer is our lives are under the control of some external force then the next logical step is to forfeit our dreams and abandon our hopes because we are powerless to achieve them.
Some would challenge me on this and say, “You’re a Christian – aren’t you a fatalist?
I say no. In fact, it is entirely the contrary. Since I believe in a supreme being who has demonstrated his great love and compassion through the life of Jesus Christ I am convinced that the universe is not an obstacle to my happiness - that I have the ultimate victory no matter what circumstance or peril I may find myself in. In fact the present obstacles serve a tutors to mold my character and deepen my faith. Therefore no person, no event and nothing else in this world can thwart my inevitable triumph as promised by God.
So you see – my self-confidence is derived from my view of a good and loving God and anything and everything must yield to this truth. Therefore ...
- When I become discouraged I return to the belief that God is my helper and he has and will provide all that I need.
- When I am doubting my own wisdom he has said that I can come to him with any question and he will give me understanding.
- When I am feeling alone and rejected he has said that I am unconditionally loved
- When I am disbelieving my own value he reminds me that he died for me and I have infinite worth.
What other religion, philosophy, or world view can offer this confidence?
So the bottom line is this.
As goes your view of the universe so goes your view of yourself.
As goes your view of yourself so goes your life.
Next time you feel stymied by a situation in your life or paralyzed by debilitating emotions look to where your confidence lies. Look at your view of God and integrate that view into your identity.
If I can be of any help you to you don't hesitate to reach out