If you have never had Kohlrabi you are in for a real treat. I first discovered this root at a farmers market in Redondo Beach, CA and it quickly became my favorite veggie. It comes is purple and white - try mixing colors to make a beautiful presentation of this dish.
Shaved Kohlrabi with Apple and Hazelnuts
- ½ cup blanched hazelnuts
- 2 medium kohlrabi (about 2 lb. total), peeled, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 tart apple (such as Pink Lady or Crispin), peeled, cored, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup torn fresh mint leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. Pecorino di Fossa or Parmesan, shaved (about ¼ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Toss kohlrabi, apple, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium bowl; season with salt. Add ½ cup mint and gently toss to just combine.
- Toss toasted hazelnuts and oil in a small bowl to coat; season with salt.
- Divide kohlrabi salad among plates and top with seasoned hazelnuts, Pecorino, and more mint.
- Do Ahead: Hazelnuts can be toasted 1 day ahead; store airtight at room temperature.