This is my favorite Breakfast Salad that I ask for when I go out to breakfast. Sometimes the waiter looks at me funny but it's simply out of this world!
- 8 ounces turkey bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 8 ounces arugula
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil for the eggs.
2. In a medium (10-inch) skillet over high heat, heat the bacon with 1/4 cup water. Once the water is evaporated, lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the bacon until it’s beginning to crisp.
3. Add the shallot to the bacon and cook until it’s wilted and translucent and the bacon is cooked, about 3 minutes more.
4. Put the arugula in a salad bowl and spoon the bacon-shallot mixture over the greens (you may want to leave some fat behind, depending on how much there is in the pan and the quantity of greens). Toss together to evenly coat.
5. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into individual small bowls or ramekins. Lower the water to a simmer and carefully add the eggs one at a time. Cook gently until the white is completely set but the yolk is still runny, 3-4 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the arugula with the vinegar (start with less and add to taste). Season with salt and pepper and divide amongst plates or bowls. Top with poached eggs and serve immediately.